Side-Out Ambassador Program Scholarship Awards
Each year Side-Out offers up to $20,000 worth of scholarships every year, ranging from $1,000 to $3,500. Once an applicant completes the requirements to become a Side-Out ambassador, they only have a few additional steps to be eligible for a Side-Out Ambassador Program scholarship award!
- Must be a high school junior/senior or college student.
- High school students must be enrolled in an accredited U.S. college/university by October 1 following his/her high school graduation.
- Must host a breast cancer fundraising event for The Side-Out Foundation in 2015.
- Participation in volleyball or any other sport is not a requirement.
- Previous winners of the SOAP scholarship awards are not eligible.
SOAP scholarship applicants must:
- Complete all requirements to become a Side-Out ambassador.
- Commit to a minimum of 2 hours of breast cancer education and detail their experience in the Educational Hours form. We recommend obtaining educational hours in one or more of the following manners:
- Volunteer at a local hospital or patient support organization.
- Visit a breast cancer research lab.
- Interview a local oncology nurse and/or physician.
*In certain instances, applicants may not have access to direct contact with workers in the medical and research fields. If this is the case, they may participate in online breast cancer workshops through organizations such as CancerCare.
- Submit a 500-750 word essay, addressing the following questions:
- What did they learn from their educational hours?
- How did they pass their knowledge on to others?
- How did this experience make them feel and why?
- Did they incorporate the 2015 Dig Pink® Rally theme “The Power of Will”? If so, how?
- Optional: Create a video or photo montage of their experience as a Side-Out ambassador (no longer than 3 minutes in URL format).
Print this checklist of tasks to help you manage the application process.
Selection and Notification
The SOAP awards are offered in various nominations from $1,000 to $3,500. The review board judges each application based on the review criteria included in the checklist of tasks (page 2). They will decide the amount a winner will earn. Winners will be notified via e-mail in mid-December.
Scholarships will be sent directly to the student’s college to be applied toward his/her tuition costs. Winners in high school should notify Side-Out at email@example.com as soon as they commit to a college/university. A staff member will contact winners via e-mail to let them know when the scholarship was mailed.