SOAP Scholarship Awards
Each year Side-Out offers 19 scholarships worth a total of $20,000. The scholarship denominations for college education expenses are as follows: $500, $1,000 and $2,500. Our review board decides which amount a winner will earn.
- Must be a high school junior/senior or college student.
- High school students must be enrolled in an accredited U.S. college/university by October 1 following his/her high school graduation.
- Must host a breast cancer fundraising event for The Side-Out Foundation in 2014.
- Participation in volleyball or any other sport is not a requirement.
- Previous winners of the SOAP scholarship awards are not eligible.
SOAP scholarship applicants must:
- Complete all requirements to become a Side-Out ambassador.
- Commit to a minimum of 2 hours of breast cancer education and detail their experience in the Educational Hours form.
- Volunteer at a local hospital or patient support organization.
- Visit a breast cancer research lab.
- Interview a local oncology nurse and/or physician.
- Submit a 500-750 word essay, addressing the following questions:
- What did they learn from their educational hours?
- What did they learn from this experience, and how did they pass their knowledge on to others?
- Optional: Create a video or photo montage of their experience as a Side-Our ambassador (no longer than 3 minutes in one of the following formats: JPG, video URL or Power Point.)
- Turn in donations by Monday, December 1st.
- Complete and submit an online application by 11:59 PM EDT Monday, December 1st (application period is between October 1-December 1).
- If they have any trouble submitting their application, they should contact us: email@example.com or 877-344-7465, Extension 200.
Selection and Notification
The SOAP awards are offered in various nominations: $500, $1,000 and $2,500. The review board decides which amount a winner will earn. Winners will be notified via e-mail by Friday, December 19th.
The SOAP Review Board will judge each application based on the following criteria:
- Educational hours account for 10%. Applicants who complete the requirement will get full credit.
*Please note: spending time in the medical field is the goal. Volunteering to do paperwork or set-up for charity events is important, but it does not give the applicant the educational hours the review board members are seeking.*
- Event organization and fundraising accounts for 20% of the applicant’s total evaluation score and will be judged on the effort put into spreading the word about the Rally and their fundraising initiatives. Scoring will be determined by:
- details in the applicant’s campaign marketing and fundraising strategy (to be attached in general application).
- date campaign donations received (must be before Monday, December 1st to receive full credit).
- The 500-750 word essay will account for 70% of the total score and will be judged based on the following questions:
- Did they answer the questions they were instructed to address?
- Is the essay clear and well-written?
Scholarships will be sent directly to the student’s college to be applied toward his/her tuition costs. Winners in high school should notify Side-Out as soon as they commit to a college/university. A staff member will contact winners via e-mail to let them know when the scholarship was mailed.
Print this checklist of tasks to help you manage the application process.